We are pleased to stock this no-nonsense, low capacitance Stylus tonearm cable from Black Rhodium, which has already attracted very favourable reviews from Paul Rigby and HiFi Choice magazine. Its unusually low capacitance (just 85pF for the standard 1.3m length) means that it works very well indeed with Moving Magnet cartridges, but it’s great with Moving Coils too. I would characterise its sound as being clean and airy, with a really nice, natural tonal balance.
What Black Rhodium Say
- Black Rhodium’s STYLUS tonearm cable can be relied to deliver very clear diction of a singer’s voice and to separate musical instruments superbly through a dramatic reduction of ‘Transient Phase Distortion’.
- ‘Transient Phase Distortion’ is reduced by using thicker insulation than is usual in interconnect cables, increasing the distance between conductors. This reduces the magnetic field seen in each conductor wire as a result of the magnetic field created by the current in the other conductor wire. The benefit in listening is a clearer and more open sound quality.
- STYLUS employs separate coaxial screened cables for each channel. The screens protect the sensitive low level signals from the turntable’s cartridge from picking up high frequency noise and interference present all around. Further protection against noise and distortion is provided by placing both channel cables in an outer jacket, preventing the return conductors of both channels from acting as a ‘loop aerials’ for RFI.
- Complementary filtering techniques are additionally applied to ensure that any interference that does penetrate the cable’s very effective defences is effectively neutralised preventing audible distortion interfering with the music.
- All these treatments are designed to reduce the amount of audible distortion in the cable, allowing cleaner, clearer sounds to be enjoyed from your equipment.
- STYLUS uses two silver plated copper cores, insulated in low loss PTFE dielectric, for positive signal flows. PTFE insulation is used because its low dielectric loss ensures extremely low distortion due to dielectric absorption effects in which sound energy is absorbed in the insulation and released at a later interval of time to create highly audible time-smearing distortion.
- STYLUS is terminated with ultra-high quality Rhodium Plated plugs. The Black Rhodium plated DIN connectors have been specially designed for use in Black Rhodium tone arm cables. The RCA end is terminated with Graham Nalty Legacy Range GN-3 RCA connectors. These have been specially manufactured to ensure that Black Rhodium cables deliver the very best sound quality possible.
- Rhodium plating is applied to the plugs to ensure a cleaner and less corroded contact is maintained between the plug and socket. The benefit of rhodium plating over gold plating is a much livelier and more exciting sound from the music.
What We Say
Can a tonearm cable be worth £350? We think so. The Black Rhodium Stylus is a nicely made, intelligently specified thing that most importantly delivers great musical results. We have compared it to cables costing more than twice as much, and the Stylus consistently offers better resolution, openness, and a lovely way with musical expression. It’s a neutral but lyrical sounding cable.
A perfect partner for a Jelco tonearm, and any other with a 5-pin mini-DIN connector..